24 August 2008

Settling In

We've been taking it easy since we've gotten here, I think we're still adjusting to jet lag, and since there hasn't been anything forcing us to wake up at a certain time, we've been taking advantage of sleeping in, and admittedly being a little lazy. 

These past few days we have gotten to see some place and also got some stuff taken care of. On Friday we bought our metro passes so we can now travel around further and easier. Friday evening I took Jace to my old neighborhood where I stayed when I studied abroad. I got to show him where I used to live (or at least the front door) and the net cafe where I would frequent and use the computer, and also to one of my favorite restaurants called Pivovarsky Dum. We got some "traditional Czech dishes" meaning meat and dumplings with gravy - I really liked it. 

Saturday we wandered into Old Town to do some sightseeing, but I definitely wasn't using my best judgement on that part. Being a weekend during tourist season, it was quite crowded. It was great to see again, of course, but I think we will wait until it gets a little colder to go back and spend some time there. Oh, and Prague has Starbucks now. One smack in the middle of Old Town (right across from the Astronomical Clock) and the other a little ways down on the other side of the Vltava after crossing the bridge. We have not gone and I doubt we will. 

We woke up this morning and went to church, it was great to be there again, and I got to see the family who was so welcoming to me last time. Everybody was super friendly and it seemed like people were eager to meet us. We ended up staying after church talking to people until they needed to close it down. Then we went out to lunch with a couple we met (Liza and Dan) and then went to Tesco where we bought some Shampoo and such. We still need to do some more shopping to be fully settled in , a trash can is needed - for example. 

Work starts tomorrow for me, I am excited about it and looking forward to meeting the people I will be working with. No kids yet, they will arrive next Monday. 

All is well, and Jace is really liking it. I think he's almost fully gotten the public transportation, and I have full confidence that he won't have any problems. We took a trip to where he will be having his school, so he knows he will be able to get there, and also how long it will take. 

No comments: