21 August 2008

First Day

We fell asleep no problem last night and ended up sleeping for pretty close to 12 hours. Beautiful. But somehow we are still both a little tired. 

This morning we began unpacking a little bit and then ventured out for a little exploring and walked to my school. I can take a bus most of the way, but today Jace and I walked the whole way, and it wasn't bad at all. Maybe only about a 20 minute walk. 

My school is the cutest little thing - it is in a building that looks like it used to be a house, the top floor has offices, and the little classrooms are all downstairs. They have a coatroom (which was funny to me, but I guess pretty standard with the winters here, plus all the children take off their shoes, or wear inside shoes in the classroom) and each room has a theme (mine is exercise and sports), and their playground (garden as they call it) is also adorable, they have a "rock climbing wall" which is more like a 45 degree slope, but still fun for the kiddos. I will have ten students, ages 5 and 6, and most of them are Czech, but know great English as they have mostly all been coming to the school since they were 2. 

On our way to the school, we stopped for lunch, which was a very comical (and probably common for us) affair. They spoke practically no English, and I speak minimal Czech. I ordered Jace a beer (which was strange anyway, I have no idea why I defaulted to that in the afternoon) and managed to order two - one for me as well. Then, I ordered bread since it was the only thing I really knew how to say. Fortunately at this point, a gentleman came in who knew some English and translated for us. He told me that they had a cold kitchen only, with things like smoked meat and cheese. So I got one smoked meat (for Jace, me and my tummy were barely OK with bread) and he ended up getting this fat, pink sausage with pickled onions inside and the whole thing looked like it was boiled. I was expecting cold cuts, so this thing was surprising. On our way back home we stopped in a little store to get a drink and sandwich items, and I saw a whole jar of Jace's lunch. Surprisingly, he didn't want to buy some. 

Now it is almost 4 (9 AM) for all of you, Jace is napping, and I have to sit in the kitchen with the windows open and computer on the windowsill to get some internet access. I think soon we will look into getting our own so I can have enough signal to use Skype. 

The weather has been surprisingly nice, we both wore T-shirts today, and brought light jackets with us, but after some walking - ended up sweating because it was quite warm. At night last night, when we got pizza, we ate outside and both had long sleeves on. So the nights are wonderfully cool. 

Tomorrow we may try and get our metro passes, and do some more exploring. I'd like to take Jace to the beautiful spots downtown. I don't think it has fully hit me yet that were are here. All the places we've seen today have been new to me as well. I think once I go to some of my favorite spots from last time it will hit me much more. 

Jace is doing well, he seems to be just as excited and adventurous with this as I am. I asked him what he thought and his impressions, and he says he likes it. 

We love you guys so much, and thanks for the comments. Keep leaving them, and feel free to email us too! 

The Fridge! PS - no one quite earned the 20 bucks!

And our washing machine too

A toilet bowl cleaner found in a cabinet - 
all the surfing Jace will see.

My current internet perch

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the update and the photos, keep them coming when you can. Can't wait to see you guys and experience Prague with you!

Love - Ruth, Dad and GM

Anonymous said...

matt said he had a friend in france with that kind of washer and it was also a drier - if you stay two years i may come in the summer - i hope you are doing good - ronnie