14 January 2009

Czechs and the EU

So, starting at the New Year, the CZ took over presidency of the European Union. They will keep it for 6 months. (You can read about it here)

To celebrate this, the Czech government commissioned a Czech artist David Cerny to do an installation (apparently they commission 27 artists for the piece.)

Anyway, David Cerny is known for his shock value - he decorated a TV tower with bronze babies, and created a statue of King Wenceslas on the dead horse. I'm not entirely sure why he was chosen to be the artist (or one of the artists) but I guess he is very Czech....

Point is, his piece created controversy (shocking!!) 



My opinion: I don't think the Czech government was entirely surprised, and they probably knew they were getting into something when they asked him to do this piece. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can see how the countries are all offended, but really...very creative depictions.

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed seeing his work!

I think Cerny Llloyd Mccain has a nice ring to it!!