23 October 2008

Random Bits of Czech


First off, I was going to the store the other evening and enjoyed a colorful sunset while waiting for the tram. 



This is actually only 2-7minutes from our front door (depending on the cross-walk, or as the Czechs call it in English "Zebra
Crossing") If you look to the right of the picture just about in the middle, you can barely see a street coming off the main road: that is our street.

Now the next two pictures come out of a book my students got from visiting policemen. So the police did a little lesson about 
safety. 
Accompanying the lesson was a story about a bear who does 
not listen.
In the story he does things like ride his scooter too fast and 
knock over a lady, 
or here he is taking candy from a stranger....
But then this is the very next picture in the sequence, following the bear taking the stranger's candy.


I was a bit shocked and amused. My kids thought nothing of it. Oh..the Czechs.....

We've started the oh-so-fun Visa process for Jace, and it is proving a bit stressful, but I think we've finally got it all sorted. I will be so glad when we finally have all the papers arranged. Mine is still pending, but I think it should be ready soon.

Overall, things are still going really well. Like I've said, we've made a good bunch of friends. Last Saturday night we went a friend's flat where they were hosting a 'pumpkin party' there was some carving and various pumpkin foods (we made pumpkin soup) and just a good excuse to get together and spend time with friends (most were from our church). I've found it remarkably easy to make friends here and I think the reason is the fact that you speak English gives you something in common and actually allows you to communicate. Its been great.

No comments: