25 July 2009

Reflections

Today is our last day in Prague, and it is simply impossible to believe. In the same way that it was surreal when we first arrived, it is now surreal that we are leaving. In many ways, I simply can not believe it. I do not feel it, nothing has really set in. Just today and yesterday have I started to wrap my mind around it, but I still do not feel it. Many people have asked if we feel sad, and I know I will be once it hits me, and who knows when that will be - perhaps after we get back home.

Nevertheless, I have been doing a lot of thinking about our year here, and I feel incredibly blessed that we had this opportunity of countless experiences.

They say that there are 4 stages of culture shock: excitement, withdrawal, adjustment, and enthusiasm.

Excitement: A holiday or honeymoon period regarding the new surroundings
August - October

Right away, there was loads to be excited about. Naturally the big one was my getting to be back in Prague and getting to roam these beautiful streets again, but there were many more new and exciting things: settling into our flat, new job, new friends, starting youth group. Everyday was filled with things to do, people were open and generous with their invitations to join in.

Withdrawal: after getting more time with the culture, one begins to find it strange, different, and frustrating
November (perhaps only November)

This arrival of this stage coincided with the cold, perhaps a coincidence, perhaps not. I remember my first and only breakdown. It was November 1st - the night of my cousin's wedding. I am not sure if there was a connection, but I think the idea of my entire family getting together and celebrating and my not being able to be a part of it probably didn't help. I really don't remember what triggered it, but Jace and I were in the kitchen, and I just started sobbing. I felt entirely homesick and frustrated. I remember feeling frustrated at the fact that seemingly easy tasks like going to the grocery store or the post office were often difficult. We also had the beginnings of our struggles with Jace's Visa, and feeling some of the financial pangs from mine.

Fortunately, November was also the month when we enjoyed our first visitors, our first trip unrelated to a Visa, and the first snow. (I found the cold much more bearable with some snow to enjoy)

Adjustment: A routine begins, and one feels more settled and confident
December - February? (not so sure when this one ends and the next one begins)

I think we also may have experienced another "excitement" section of culture shock because in this time we had many visitors and trips - Sean and Aubrey and our trip to Paris in November; Dad and Ruth and our Christmas trip to Germany and Switzerland; our Moms and the trip to Vienna. This was easily a time of rich blessings and experiences. Also, Jace's visa is mostly settled by this point, I've started Czech lessons in November, we both really enjoy our jobs. It was definitely a huge help that I had my Dad here for Christmas and my Mom here right around my birthday, otherwise, I suspect that the withdrawal stage would have lasted longer.

Enthusiasm: one feels at home, and in some ways prefers the new culture
February - July

The transition from the prior stage to this one was quite fluid, it is difficult to pinpoint when one ended and one began, and I suspect that it was gradual and in bits and pieces.

My confidence in using the language has grown, I can buy credit on my phone using only Czech (which includes giving my phone number), we've eaten at restaurants that have Czech-only menus, the post office is a much less scary place (though still intimidating at times).

Dare I say it: I even like the food, though that has pretty much always been the case.
We have gotten expert at using the public transportation, even using a website to give us exact connection times and details.

Even though it feels more like home now, I think part of me is shifting back into withdrawal (and perhaps this is just the pregnancy) where I miss some of the conveniences of home. And I had some withdrawal in March when it was still snowing at times.

All in all, I think I feel ready to be back at home, though it is difficult to say good-bye and I know that I will miss Prague greatly.

2 comments:

Mom said...

Wonderful synopsis - I think you are on your way to Greece as I write this - Love you!

GRAM-PAW said...

EYE CAN TELL EWE GOT ALLL YOUR'RE RIGHTING SKILLS FROM YER DAD